In April 2013, the Government announced funding (Sports Premium) for physical education (PE), sport and physical activity to improve provision of PE and sport provision in schools. Schools must spend the additional funding each year, on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do so.
How we use the sports premium funding
We use the funding with the following aims:
- Improve the teaching of PE at Greenhill through a programme of staff development.
- Ensure that PE provision is judged as good or better, including through external monitoring.
- Broaden the sporting opportunities and experiences available to pupils.
- Increase participation in extra-curricular sporting activities.
- Develop a love of sport and physical activity.
- Continue to support opportunities for children to participate in competitive sport.
- Support children who excel at a particular sport.
We achieve this through providing a wide range of opportunities for our children at Greenhill across many sports, e.g. golf, kayaking, swimming, tennis, football, netball, dance, gymnastics, athletics and working alongside the Leeds Rhinos. Some of our highly talented sports stars are members of national clubs and teams!
Swimming: in the academic year 2021- 2022, we made the decision to take all our Year 6 children to swimming lessons, as they had missed so much due to lockdowns. This year, so far 43/60 children can swim 25m or more, which is 72%. We are really proud of this result as so many of them were unable to swim this distance in September.
To find out more, take a look at our sport premium reports.